Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

How Can I Do That?

Have you ever seen someone who maintains incredible faith despite difficult circumstances and wondered, How can they do that? When we see people facing life-changing challenges and personal losses, it’s natural to wonder where they find the strength to rebuild their lives and the courage to continue fighting amid so many struggles. Sometimes when I see someone rebuilding after a natural disaster, battling a terminal illness, or living with a physical impairment, I can’t help wondering how I would handle such a challenge.
 
Sometimes I find myself praying that God will continue to provide me with the life of comfort to which I have grown so accustomed. I do this out of the fear that I could not rise to the occasion and face the challenges in my future with grace and humility. I wonder if I would surrender to God’s plan or continue to demand that He follow my plan. Most of all I wonder if I could accept my struggles with a thankful heart and praise God through my suffering.

During the Easter season I am reminded that this time of year is about more than the joyful celebration surrounding Jesus’ resurrection and the fulfillment of God’s promise that everlasting life awaits His faithful   followers. Easter is also about recognizing Jesus’ sacrifice and acknowledging His ability to understand our pain because He has walked among us. He endured a human death and all of the physical and emotional pain that surrounds human suffering. In Him lies all the strength and courage we could ever need.

I believe God brings us all to our knees at various points in our lives. Although none of us is exempt from bearing our own crosses someday, we don’t have to fear the challenge. We don’t have to fear it because we are loved by a Savior who has experienced our pain; a Savior who has the ability to provide us with abundant grace and tremendous strength. As much as I believe God gives us each a cross, I also believe that He can grant us the grace to bear it if we choose to let Him embrace us with His love and walk with us on a journey that He knows all too well.

So I guess I don’t need to pray for safety, health, or financial security nearly as often as I need to pray for the ability to maintain unwavering faith despite the presence or absence of any of those things in my life. It is incredibly comforting to know that He is willing to walk with me through everything from flat tires and bee stings to cancer and death. I guess that’s the answer. That’s how they do it. And the rest of us can do it too if we acknowledge His constant presence within us. Draw on His strength, celebrate His mercy, praise Him in good times and bad, and when the unexpected strikes your life you’ll never have to wonder, How can I do that?

Today and every day, He walks with you. Take comfort in His presence, honor His sacrifice, celebrate His promise, and have a very happy Easter!


No comments:

Post a Comment