Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Where Have I Been?

Well, our official moving date is less than 2 weeks away, and considering my last post was November 8th, I guess I'm on an official blogging break. For those who are wondering where I've been, don't worry. I didn't fall off the Earth or anything. I'm just lost in a sea of bubble wrap and packing tape. Top that off with my insatiable need to over-organize every last box and a toddler whose's nap seems to get shorter every week, and it's no wonder why I've been MIA for the past month.

Truthfully, though, there is a little more to it than that. For one, when it comes to all of the events of the past few weeks, I am still quite speechless. Every day I wake up expecting to see the pictures back on the walls, wine glasses back in the cupboard, and Matt's blank stare as he asks, "What house?" I keep waiting for all of this to feel more real, but it just doesn't. In fact, given the situation, I won't be surprised if I wake up every day for the next 10 years thinking, "I can't believe I live here."

As a result of all this, I find myself thinking about little else these days. I devote all of my free time to packing, organizing, thumbing through decorating books, and thinking about all that we will be able to do with 5 times as much living space. I also spend a lot of time tweaking our budget and adjusting our spending limits to be sure that our new living arrangement doesn't affect my ability to stay home. At the end of the day, after packing a few boxes, responding to emails from our lending company and real estate agent, and putting yet another check in the mail for who-knows-what-fees, I barely have the mental energy to learn any lessons from dead bugs and post-it notes (much less write about them).

My other issue is that writing has become incredibly difficult since Matt went back to work in August. As a writer who needs extended periods of complete silence to produce anything worth posting, Reese's shortened nap schedule has been a major issue. When I first started writing, it was something I wanted to do for fun. Once it became harder to make time for it, the fun dwindled away and it started to feel like a chore. Last March (when I started this blog), I had a crawling infant who slept over 4 hours a day. Today, I have a running, jumping, climbing toddler who sleeps less than 2 hours a day (and some days not at all).

That doesn't mean I'm putting this aside forever, but it does mean that you won't be hearing from me every 3 days anymore. As much as I love writing, I can't allow it to take me away from the other important things in my life - like time for family, exercise, and prayer. I'll never understand how women with multiple children make time for daily blogs. If any of you are out there and have any advice for me, I will gladly take it. For now, I need a few more weeks to get moved and settled in the new house. Wish us luck and I'll be back in January!

I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

P.S. At the top, right-hand side of this page, you can enter your email address and new posts will automatically get emailed to you so you don't have to keep checking back.

No comments:

Post a Comment