Pages

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Lessons from a Lazy River

Last week Reese and I went to a water park with my friend and her little girl. We spent the morning watching the girls splash in the kiddie pool while we chatted about nothing in particular. Later we floated around on the lazy river where one sentence ran through my mind on a loop: "My life is awesome." Then I thought about Matt sitting in his office on the first full day of school in his new role as the dean of students. I thought about how busy he must have been preparing for all the issues and challenges of the year to come. And here I was participating in an activity that has "lazy" in its title. Gratitude doesn't even begin to describe what I felt in that moment.

I actually experience this feeling quite often - every time Reese and I sit out in the grass and throw potato peels to the chickens, every time we snuggle on the couch to read before nap time, and every time we play at the park in the middle of the day. I think about how lucky I am to have this lifestyle, and I always hope Matt knows how incredibly grateful I am for all that does to provide for us. I try to thank him regularly for his willingness to take on the responsibility that comes with being the sole provider of our income and for all the financial perks he has given up to have a wife at home.

Now, I'm definitely not saying that being an at-home-parent is a cake walk (and if you've been following along, you know I don't think that at all). I work really hard to clean my house and cook good meals and stimulate my child's mind even when I'm bored out of my own. I know Matt feels thankful for all I have sacrificed to support our family in so many other ways, but in the moments when I'm floating down a lazy river in the middle of the afternoon, sometimes I can't help but feel like I got the longer stick.
 
Every time Matt gets up and puts on a tie and and heads to work while Reese and I hang out in our pajamas, I remember that I have the greatest job in the world. I also remember that I only have this job because I have a wonderful spouse who completely supported my desire to pursue it. At night he comes home and tells me about emails, phone calls, meetings, and mishaps and then I tell him about how we played at the park, swam in the pool, shopped with Grandma, or had play dates with friends. He never acts envious or makes me feel guilty for not making any money. Instead, he sees a clean house, a delicious dinner, and a happy family. He knows that he can sit down and not have to do any laundry or vacuum any carpets, and in those moments he feels just as thankful for me as I feel for him when I'm floating on a lazy river.

8 comments:

  1. I feel the same way all time! Being a stay at home mom is a joy; I'm glad my husband felt it was as important as I did when our girls were babies. Enjoy these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend once told me that what I do is priceless, and I do the same thing you do. That in a nutshell is the perfect explanation as to how I feel about this post. It is priceless. Loved your bigger picture moment today. :)

    Alita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caring for that little life, influencing how she grows and develops is such an honor and a gift. There is nothing in life that I have enjoyed more than my time home with my kids when they were small. I really enjoyed reading thoughts from a like mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's sweet to see someone write about their gratitude and so sincerely, unselfconsciously mean it. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's refreshing to see someone who understands and appreciates her blessings -- even if sometimes the days are hard and gritty, and often her value is questioned in our society. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to feel the same way as this. I'm also a SAHM, hubby's idea. But it's different when your hubby is bipolar and unmedicated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yes, Lisa! What timing to have read this today after my no-good, very-bad, terrible day yesterday. It IS a blessing. I, too, have sat beneath a high sun in lush grass while playing with my babes all while thinking -- yes, somehow I did get the longer stick.
    Beautiful, genuine moment, Lisa. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Yes! This is my life too and I love it! It's so refreshing to see such positive views on spouses :-)

    I have been so blessed to stay home, it has not been easy and some days its down right hard but in those moments I am so so grateful!

    Great moment! Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete